Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Who even am I?

Tell me who you think I am. You're probably right. Tell me what you think I value. I'm sure you're correct.  If each of our lives is comprised of a series of perceived realities, then how can I begin to argue your opinion? What if every possible personality trait exists simultaneously within our consciousness and our "reality" is the series of choices of which trait to embrace and which to reject? And what if there is no wrong answer? No matter your perception, or conclusive detection; or product of misdirection, you'll require no correction. Sincere apologies - I indulged the part of my personality that can't resist rhyme, despite the fact that I am worse at constructing it than a sober Flo-Rida. Topical.

Like Michael Jackson, I can attempt to portray the man I see in the mirror (and hopefully not the boy standing next to him). I can attempt to embody the self I strive to be. But the finality rests with the beholder. Whether our opinions of me align - and unless yours fluctuates more than a menopausal woman's thermo-regulator, they do not likely do so for long - the only promise I can make is to live my own truth, to do so deliberately, and let you interpret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment