Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I met a girl...

I actually met a lot of girls. I was friends with a lot of girls. But what I mean is that I also dated quite a few of them. That's what I was supposed to do. And in my world, one did what one ought, regardless of the desire to do so. Girls liked me, and that is a quality I just adore in people. When you believe in a spectrum of attraction, as I do (although I fall pretty securely on the other end of this spectrum), and you're told through all of adolescence that being attracted to men, which I very much was, is unacceptable, it is easy [read: prudent] to put off "sinful" sexual urges in favor of harmless, pseudo-romantic friend-relationships with women. So I did. I think at times I even had myself fooled into loving them. I think science calls that "denial," and my friend, I was floating smoothly down (or up?) that river. I barely even thought about men - unless you count feverishly masturbating to every boy on the football team, my best friend, or any underwear ad I could find multiple times a day... But despite being sex objects, men were never the object of a relational desire, because how could they be? Two men in a relationship? Who bought dinner? Where would the babies come from? And aren't babies the reason people get married?

No comments:

Post a Comment